Discover natural and eco-friendly disinfectants that prioritize your health and the environment.
Our selection includes toxin-free options that are safe for children and pets.
Choose from a range of effective and economical cleaning solutions. Explore our top picks for eco-friendly cleaning.
As a team dedicated to promoting healthier living environments and sustainable practices, we believe in the power of knowledge.
We’ve spent countless hours researching and reading thousands of customer reviews to help you make better decisions.
- Top 5 Best Eco-friendly Disinfectant
- How do Cleaning Products Impact the Environment?
- Benefits Of Eco-Friendly Disinfectants
- Tips for Choosing and Using Environmentally Friendly Disinfectants
- Natural Alternative for Chemical Disinfectants
- Can Eco-Friendly Disinfectant Be Made At Home?
- Our Verdict
Top 5 Best Eco-friendly Disinfectant
When it comes to finding the best environmentally friendly disinfectant, you want something that stays true to its green promise while still being effective at killing germs.
Here are some of the top natural and eco-friendly disinfectants on the market today:
This Blueland Set is an innovative, waste-free, effective, and eco-friendly solution.
Add water, drop in a tablet, and have a powerful cleaner ready. Its clean ingredients and safe formula make it an excellent choice for households.
This multi-surface cleaner is suitable for countertops, sinks, cabinets, and glass. It’s also free of ammonia, chlorine bleach, parabens and phthalates.
Plus, the tablets are easy to store and transport.
This set is a great solution for anyone saving money while reducing their plastic footprint.Buy on Blueland
This spray is a plant-based formula that effectively eliminates 99.99% of common household germs without harsh chemicals like bleach and ammonia.
Its allergen-free composition makes it a great choice for individuals with allergies or sensitivities.
You can use this spray on any hard or soft surfaces, including countertops, cutting boards, and toys.Buy on Amazon
Another impressive product I’ve encountered is the Better Life Natural All-Purpose Cleaner.
Its ability to cut through grease, grime, soap scum, and hard water stains is remarkable. It’s also versatile, suitable for various surfaces and even as a laundry pre-spotter.
Most importantly, it’s free of VOCs, alkyphenol surfactants, and petroleum, making it a sound choice for environmentally conscious users.Buy on Amazon
Mrs Meyer’s Multi-Surface Cleaner Concentrate is another standout product I recommended.
Its biodegradable formula makes it tough on dirt and environmentally friendly. It can be safely used on various surfaces, including hardwood floors, countertops, and walls.Buy on Amazon
The Clorox Multi-Purpose Paper Towel Wipes are made from compostable plant fibers in municipal facilities.
They’re convenient, easy to use, and perfect for cleaning hard surfaces like sealed wood, granite, and stainless steel.
Plus, they’re fragrance and dye-free, making them suitable for sensitive skin.Buy on Amazon
Top 5 Best Eco-Friendly Toilet Bowl Tablets + Alternatives
How do Cleaning Products Impact the Environment?
Chemical substances in traditional cleaning products can harm your health and the environment.
These toxins can be released through air and water, resulting in long-term damage to the planet.
The chemicals in disinfectants can be harmful to aquatic life if they enter waterways, and can also cause soil contamination if not disposed of correctly.
Commonly in chemical disinfectants, there is a high level of ammonia and chlorine, which can be harmful to aquatic life and human body.
Additionally, some disinfectants release volatile organic compounds (VOCs) into the air, which can contribute to air pollution and pose health risks for humans and animals.
It’s important to follow proper guidelines for using and disposing of chemical disinfectants to minimize their environmental impact.
- Disinfectants can have a negative environmental impact if not used and disposed of correctly. Discharges can lead to water and soil contamination, as well as air pollution.
- Exposure to ammonia can lead to irritation in the eyes, nose, throat, and respiratory tract. This can occur through inhalation or direct contact with ammonia.
- Using excessive amounts of chlorine in cleaning products can result in various health problems, ranging from minor facial irritation to severe lung damage.
- Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are gases released into the air by some chemical cleaning products, some of which are harmful on their own and can even cause cancer.
Benefits Of Eco-Friendly Disinfectants
When you choose to use an eco-friendly disinfectant, there are numerous benefits that make it a great choice for your home and pets.
Let’s explore the top 6 advantages of using environmentally friendly disinfectants products:
1. Safer for people
Eco-friendly disinfectants are made with natural ingredients that are less harmful to humans than traditional disinfectants.
2. Better for the environment
Traditional disinfectants can be harmful to the environment, but eco-friendly disinfectants use sustainable and biodegradable ingredients that are less damaging.
3. Reduces chemical exposure
Eco-friendly disinfectants contain fewer harsh chemicals, which means less exposure to potentially harmful substances.
Eco-friendly disinfectants can be made from common household items like vinegar and baking soda, which makes them a more cost-effective option than traditional disinfectants.
5. Kills germs effectively
Many eco-friendly disinfectants use natural ingredients like tea tree oil and hydrogen peroxide, which have been proven to kill germs just as effectively as traditional disinfectants.
6. Pleasant scent
Unlike traditional disinfectants that can have a strong chemical smell, many eco-friendly options have a pleasant scent due to their natural ingredients like essential oils.
7. Easier to dispose
Eco-friendly disinfectants are biodegradable, which makes them easier to dispose of without causing harm to the environment.
Tips for Choosing and Using Environmentally Friendly Disinfectants
Selecting and appropriately using eco-friendly disinfectants can significantly reduce your environmental footprint while ensuring a safe and clean space.
Here are some tips to guide you.
- Reading Labels and Understanding Certifications: Always read labels before purchasing any disinfectant. Look for ones that have been certified as ‘green’ or ‘eco-friendly’, such as those endorsed by EcoLogo, Green Seal, or Safer Choice. These certifications guarantee that the product meets rigorous environmental standards.
- Proper Usage and Storage: To maximize effectiveness, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use. Overusing or diluting the product may reduce its disinfecting properties. Store disinfectants in a cool, dry place, away from children and pets. Always ensure the container is tightly sealed to prevent leakage and evaporation.
- Disposal of Eco-Friendly Disinfectants: Dispose of empty disinfectant containers in recycling bins if they’re recyclable. For non-recyclable containers, check with your local waste disposal facility for the best disposal methods. Never pour leftover disinfectant down drains as it can harm waterways and wildlife.
Natural Alternative for Chemical Disinfectants
Here we will discuss some of the natural alternatives to chemical disinfectants that can be used to keep your home or business clean and germ-free.
- Vinegar: Vinegar is a great natural cleaner due to its acidity, which helps break down dirt and grime on surfaces. It’s also known to kill some types of bacteria.
- Lemon Juice: Similar to vinegar, the acidity in lemon juice makes it a good natural cleaner. Lemon juice also has a fresh, clean scent.
- Baking Soda: This is a versatile cleaner that can be used to scrub surfaces and remove odors.
- Tea Tree Oil: This essential oil has natural antimicrobial properties, making it a great addition to homemade cleaning solutions.
- Castile Soap: This plant-based soap is a powerful cleaner and can be used on a variety of surfaces.
- Borax: A naturally occurring mineral, borax is often used in laundry detergents but can also be used for general household cleaning.
- Hydrogen Peroxide: A common antiseptic, hydrogen peroxide can also be used as a mild bleach and disinfectant.
- Alcohol: Rubbing alcohol or ethyl alcohol can be used as a disinfectant when used properly.
Remember, while these natural alternatives can be effective for cleaning, they may not eliminate all types of germs.
For high-risk areas like bathrooms and kitchens, it may be necessary to use a stronger disinfectant.
For more on eco-friendly alternatives, check out our article about green cleaning products!Top 5 Best Eco-Friendly Toilet Cleaner For Sustainable Bathroom
Can Eco-Friendly Disinfectant Be Made At Home?
Yes, you can. Here’s a recipe for a homemade disinfectant that you can use to keep your home clean and germ-free:
Recipe 1: Homemade Disinfectant Spray
- 1 ½ cups of 70% isopropyl or rubbing alcohol
- ¾ cup of water
- 15 drops of lemon essential oil
- 15 drops of lavender essential oil
- Pour 1 ½ cups of 70% isopropyl or rubbing alcohol into a spray bottle.
- Add ¾ cup of water into the spray bottle.
- Add 15 drops of lemon essential oil and 15 drops of lavender essential oil.
- Secure the lid of the spray bottle and shake well to mix all the ingredients together.
- Your homemade disinfectant spray is ready to use.
Recipe 2: Natural Disinfectant
- In a clean bowl or bucket, add 4 cups of hot water.
- Add ¼ cup of white vinegar to the water.
- Then, add 2 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Mix all the ingredients together until the baking soda is fully dissolved.
- Your natural disinfectant is ready to use.
Bear in mind to always test a small area first before applying these homemade disinfectants, especially on colored surfaces as they may cause discoloration.
Also, these disinfectants should be stored in a cool and dry place, away from children and pets.
Discover more simple DIY natural cleaner that you can easily make using ingredients found in your own cupboards.Top 5 Best Eco-Friendly Hand Soap To Transform Your Handwashing Experience
In conclusion, we strongly recommend considering our top 5 best Eco-friendly disinfectants for effectively cleaning your home while minimizing your environmental impact.
These products offer a perfect blend of efficiency and eco-friendliness, thus aligning with the increasing demand for sustainable living solutions.
Among these, we especially endorse Blueland Multi-Surface Starter Set as the overall best eco-friendly disinfectant.
Known for its clean ingredients and exceptional cleaning performance, Blueland Cleaner represents a smart choice for those looking to switch to greener, healthier alternatives.
By opting for this choice, you’re not just investing in a high-quality cleaning solution, but also contributing to a more sustainable and healthier planet for future generations.
If you’re interested in additional advice for living sustainably and having an earth-friendly cleaning routine, take a look at these articles:
Are eco-friendly cleaning products effective?
Yes, eco-friendly cleaning products can be just as effective as traditional cleaning products. Many eco-friendly cleaning products are made with plant-based enzymes and natural ingredients that are effective at removing dirt, stains, and odors.
Can eco-friendly cleaning products kill bacteria and disinfect?
Yes, there are eco-friendly cleaning products that are specifically formulated to kill bacteria and disinfect surfaces. Look for products with antimicrobial properties or those that meet the standards set by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for effectiveness against specific pathogens.
What are eco-friendly cleaning products?
Eco-friendly cleaning products are cleaning products that are made from biodegradable or plant-based ingredients, and they are formulated to minimize their impact on the environment.
Why should I use eco-friendly cleaning products?
Using eco-friendly cleaning products is beneficial for both your health and the environment. They are free from harsh chemicals that can be harmful to your health, and they minimize the pollution of waterways and air.
What are some examples of eco-friendly cleaning products?
Some examples of eco-friendly cleaning products include multi-purpose disinfectants, bathroom cleaners, glass cleaners, floor cleaners, and disinfectant wipes. These products are made with plant-based ingredients and do not contain harmful chemicals.
Are eco-friendly cleaning products safe to use around children and pets?
Yes, eco-friendly cleaning products are generally safer to use around children and pets because they do not contain harsh chemicals or toxins. However, it is always recommended to keep any cleaning product out of reach of children and follow the instructions provided.
Can eco-friendly cleaning products be used on all surfaces?
Most eco-friendly cleaning products can be used on a variety of surfaces, including countertops, floors, glass, and bathroom fixtures. However, it is always best to check the product label for any specific instructions or limitations.
Are eco-friendly cleaning products environmentally friendly?
Yes, eco-friendly cleaning products are specifically designed to minimize their impact on the environment. They are often made with plant-based or biodegradable ingredients and are packaged in recyclable or reusable materials.
Where can I buy eco-friendly cleaning products?
Eco-friendly cleaning products can be purchased from various retailers, including grocery stores, health food stores, and online platforms. Look for products labeled as “eco-friendly” or “natural” to ensure you’re making a sustainable choice.