Do you love looking after the environment while also wanting to feel fresh and smell good?
Then you’ll be glad to know that there are so many great eco-friendly deodorants to choose from, which can give you all-day protection without any of the nasty chemical ingredients.
In this blog post, I’m going to be sharing my top 5 picks for best eco-friendly deodorants that won’t let you down.
As a passionate advocate for environmental sustainability and green beauty, I am constantly exploring deodorants that resonate with my dedication to an eco-conscious lifestyle.
In this guide, I’m here to assist you in making knowledgeable choices when it comes to selecting sustainable personal care products.
We’ve meticulously evaluated the best eco-friendly deodorants available on the market, taking into account factors such as user experiences, effectiveness, and environmental impact.
Our exhaustive research guarantees that you can rely on the insights we present.
Our top pick, Native Natural Deodorant stands out as the best overall eco-friendly deodorant you can invest in today.
However, we acknowledge that everyone’s personal care needs are unique, so we’ve also spotlighted other outstanding eco-friendly deodorants to suit your specific preferences.
Without further ado, let’s delve into our guide and start making a positive impact on our planet!
Native Natural Deodorant
Best Budget Option
Little Seed Farm All Natural Deodorant Cream
Best Green Option
MAGSOL Natural Deodorant
Our Top 5 Recommendations for Best Eco-friendly Deodorant That Keeps You Fresh All Day
- Native Natural Deodorant
- Little Seed Farm All Natural Deodorant Cream
- Humble All Natural Deodorant
- ATTITUDE Plastic-Free Deodorant
- MAGSOL Natural Deodorant
5 Top Eco-Friendly Deodorant Brands for Conscious Consumers
In our journey towards more sustainable living, we’ve meticulously evaluated and reviewed all eco-friendly deodorants on this list.
We’ve considered factors such as customer feedback, cost-effectiveness, ingredients used, and overall performance.
Here are our top 5 recommendations for the best eco-friendly deodorants you should consider:
- First 5 ingredients: Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, Vanilla, Baking Soda, Magnesium Hydroxide
- Key feature: Vegan & Cruelty-Free, Natural Ingredients, Effective Protection
- Type of Product: Stick
- Life Stage: Everyone
- Best for: This deodorant has effective odor protection which keeps you feeling dry all day long
If you’re searching for an effective, natural deodorant, Native Natural Deodorant could be the answer.
This product is made without aluminium, parabens, phthalates, and talc, ensuring you aren’t applying harmful chemicals to your skin.
What’s impressive about this deodorant is its effectiveness. It provides ample protection against odour, offering a fresh and light feel under your arms.
This can be especially beneficial if you tend to sweat or stress a lot. The scent is pleasant, the application is smooth, and it’s long-lasting too.
However, be aware that it may leave white marks on your shirts. Also, some users have reported developing a rash after a couple of weeks of use.
Despite these cons, if you’re looking for a more natural, effective deodorant, Native could be worth trying out.Buy on Amazon
- First 5 ingredients: Beeswax, Vegetable Glycerine, Arrowroot, Essential Oils, Magnesium Hydroxide
- Key feature: Sustainable, Natural Ingredients, Non Toxic
- Type of Product: Cream
- Life Stage: Everyone
- Best for: Those who prefer a creamier texture and want long-lasting protection deodorant
Little Seed Farm All Natural Deodorant Cream is a great option for those looking for an eco-friendly deodorant.
This product contains natural ingredients including coconut oil, shea butter, and beeswax which provide ample protection against odour while nourishing your skin.
The creamy texture makes application easy and mess-free.
Moreover, this deodorant is 100% vegan and free from aluminium, parabens, phthalates, talc and sulfates. This makes it an ideal choice for those with sensitive skin or allergies.
As far as the smell goes, it has a faint natural scent to it. It’s not too strong but lingers throughout the day.
Overall, Little Seed Farm All Natural Deodorant Cream is a great option for those looking for an eco-friendly and natural deodorant.
Its also long-lasting, creamy texture makes it easy to apply. A little goes a long way and it’s ideal for people with sensitive skin or allergies.Buy on Amazon
- First 5 ingredients: Essential Oils, Seed Extract, Beeswax, Baking Soda, Coconut Oil
- Key feature: 75% Recycled Container, Natural Ingredients, Aluminium-free
- Type of Product: Stick
- Life Stage: Everyone
- Best for: People who seeking aluminium-free protection without any potentially irritating chemicals.
Humble All Natural Deodorant lives up to its name by offering a simple, yet effective solution that respects both your body and the environment.
It contains only simple and natural ingredients – essential oils, seed extract, beeswax, baking soda, and coconut oil, making it stand out in the market overrun by complicated formulas.
This minimalistic approach means it’s free from aluminium, parabens, and other potentially irritating chemicals, making it suitable for all skin types.
The deodorant comes in a 75% recycled container, reflecting the brand’s commitment to sustainability.
The stick format makes for easy application, ensuring you get even coverage with just a few swipes.
Humble All Natural Deodorant offers an impressive performance, providing long-lasting protection against odour.
The essential oils give it a pleasant scent that is not overpowering, adding a hint of freshness to your routine.
Whether you’re an active individual, a pregnant or breastfeeding mother, or just someone looking for a gentle, natural deodorant, Humble fits the bill.
Nonetheless, it does not function as an antiperspirant, hence individuals who experience excessive sweating may find it necessary to reapply throughout the day.
In short- this deodorant was eco-friendly, simplistic, and effective formula making it one of the best eco-friendly deodorants out there.Buy on Amazon
- First 5 ingredients: Cornstarch, Arrowroot, Coconut Oil, Citrus Limon, Castor Seed Oil
- Key feature: Dermatologically Tested, Plastic-free Packaging, 100% vegan
- Type of Product: Stick
- Life Stage: Everyone
- Best for: Those seeking a plastic-free, natural deodorant that is gentle on the skin while still providing long-lasting protection.
ATTITUDE Plastic-Free Deodorant is a game changer for those looking to reduce their single-use plastic consumption.
The deodorant comes in biodegradable cardboard packaging, easily compostable and recyclable.
The formula is effective in providing long-lasting freshness, and its plant and mineral-based ingredients make it gentle enough for sensitive skin.
ATTITUDE also prides itself on being vegan, cruelty-free, hypoallergenic, non-greasy and free from potentially irritating chemicals.
For an extra boost of confidence, the deodorant comes in a variety of scents to choose from.
However, be aware that it is not as effective for those with heavy perspiration and may require reapplication throughout the day.
Despite its few limitations, ATTITUDE Plastic-Free Deodorant is a great choice for those looking for an eco-friendly, natural deodorant that is kind to the skin and environment.
Moreover, it is also suitable for pregnant and breastfeeding mothers in need of gentle odour protection without any harsh ingredients.Buy on Amazon
- First 5 ingredients: Sweet Almond Oil, Beeswax, Magnesium Oxide, Natural Oils
- Key feature: 100% Natural Ingredients, Aluminium-free, Safe For Everyone
- Type of Product: Solid
- Life Stage: Everyone
- Best for: The natural deodorant that provides all-day odour protection by limiting moisture buildup under the armpit, keeping you dryer and fresher for longer.
MAGSOL Natural Deodorant is a gem for those seeking an aluminium-free and baking soda-free solution.
It’s specially designed to avoid skin irritation, making it perfect for sensitive skin.
This women-owned, family-made product boasts a simple yet effective formula of just four natural ingredients (sweet almond oil, beeswax, magnesium oxide, and natural oils), ensuring no unnecessary fillers.
The deodorant works wonders in preventing both odour and wetness.
You’ll find yourself free from the hassle of frequent reapplications and carrying around an extra deodorant stick.
It’s also safe for everyone in the family, including pregnant women and teenagers.
However, be mindful that it may be pricey for deodorant, and some users have reported less-than-ideal coverage.
But considering its pros, MAGSOL Natural Deodorant could be the natural, skin-friendly solution you’ve been searching for.Buy on Amazon
How to Choose the Best Eco-Friendly Deodorant
Hello, fellow green beauty enthusiasts! I am excited to guide you on an enlightening journey towards finding the perfect eco-friendly deodorant.
The Importance of Eco-Friendly Deodorants
Let’s start with the ‘why’. Why should we switch to eco-friendly deodorants?
First and foremost, they are healthier for your skin and body. Conventional deodorants often contain harsh chemicals like aluminium and parabens, which can cause skin irritation and have been linked to health concerns.
On the other hand, eco-friendly deodorants use natural ingredients that work harmoniously with your body.
Secondly, they are better for our planet. Every year, countless plastic deodorant tubes end up in landfills, contributing to environmental pollution.
Eco-friendly brands often use compostable or recyclable packaging, reducing waste and helping us tread lightly on our planet.
Types of Eco-Friendly Deodorants
Eco-friendly deodorants come in various forms – sticks, creams, sprays, and even stones!
They utilize ingredients like baking soda, arrowroot powder, and essential oils to naturally neutralize odours and absorb sweat.
Some brands even offer baking soda-free options for those with sensitive skin.
Choosing the Right Deodorant
Below are some helpful tips for selecting a natural deodorant. Use these guidelines when you’re looking to purchase one:
- Ingredient Check: Look for all-natural ingredients. Avoid products that contain parabens, phthalates, and aluminium as these can be harmful to your health.
- Skin Sensitivity: If you have sensitive skin, find a product that is free from baking soda as it can sometimes irritate.
- Scent Preference: Natural deodorants come in a variety of scents due to essential oils. Choose one that appeals to you.
- Effectiveness: Not all natural deodorants work the same for everyone. You may need to try out a few different brands before you find one that works best for you.
- Eco-Friendly Packaging: If you are environmentally conscious, look for brands that use recyclable or biodegradable packaging.
- Vegan/Cruelty-Free: Many natural deodorants are vegan and cruelty-free. If this is important to you, look for these labels.
To get the best results from your eco-friendly deodorant, apply it to clean, dry skin. Give it a minute to absorb before getting dressed to avoid any residue on your clothes.
And remember, natural deodorants work differently from conventional ones – you might experience a detox phase when you first switch, but don’t let this discourage you!
When it’s time to dispose of your deodorant, make sure to do so responsibly.
Many eco-friendly brands use recyclable or compostable packaging, so check the packaging for disposal instructions.
Choosing an eco-friendly deodorant is more than just a purchase; it’s a commitment to your health and our planet.
So, here’s to making choices that keep us – and our Earth – fresh and healthy!
Why Isn’t Aluminium Included In Eco-friendly Deodorants?
Aluminium is typically not included in eco-friendly deodorants for several reasons:
1. Difference between Antiperspirants and Deodorants
Aluminium is commonly found in antiperspirants, not deodorants.
Antiperspirants work by using aluminium to block sweat glands, which prevents sweat from reaching the skin’s surface.
Meanwhile, deodorants work by neutralizing the smell of sweat and killing bacteria that cause body odour.
2. Health Concerns
There are health concerns about the skin absorbing aluminium from antiperspirants.
Even though the link between aluminium and health issues like breast cancer and Alzheimer’s disease isn’t definitively proven, some people prefer to avoid it.
3. Eco-Friendly Packaging
Most deodorant cans, roll-ons or stick packaging is made from aluminium and plastics which are not eco-friendly.
4. Natural Ingredients
Eco-friendly deodorants often use natural ingredients to combat odor. These can include baking soda, arrowroot powder, and essential oils.
Animal-derived Ingredients That You Need To Avoid
When choosing an ethical deodorant, it’s important to avoid certain animal byproducts. Here are some common that you might find in nonvegan deodorants:
- Royal Jelly: This substance is secreted by bees and is used as food by the queen bee and larvae.
- Gelatin: Gelatin is a protein obtained by boiling skin, tendons, ligaments, or bones with water. It is usually obtained from cows or pigs.
- Animal-based Glycerin: Glycerin can be derived from animal fats as well as vegetable fats. Unless specified, it’s safe to assume that the glycerin in your deodorant may be animal-derived.
- Lanolin: This is a type of wax secreted by wool-bearing animals like sheep. It’s often used in personal care products for its moisturizing properties.
- Beeswax/Bee Pollen: Beeswax is a natural wax produced by honey bees, while bee pollen is collected by bees as they gather nectar. Both are commonly used in cosmetics and personal care products.
- Allantoin: This chemical compound can be derived from the urine of most mammals or synthesized in labs. It’s used for its healing, soothing, and anti-irritating properties.
- Carmine: This red pigment is made from crushed cochineal insects and is often used as a colourant.
- Collagen: This protein is typically derived from animal tissues and is used for its skin conditioning properties.
To ensure you’re purchasing an ethical product, look for deodorants labelled as vegan or cruelty-free, or check the ingredients list to make sure none of these animal byproducts are included.
DIY Natural Deodorant Recipes
Here are a few effective and practical homemade deodorant recipes that are eco-friendly and free from animal byproducts:
Recipe 1: Baking Soda and Coconut Oil Deodorant:
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Few drops of essential oils (optional)
Blend all the ingredients in a bowl until you get a smooth consistency. Store it in a small jar and apply it with your fingers.
Recipe 2: Shea Butter and Tea Tree Oil Deodorant:
- 3 tablespoons of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of shea butter
- 2 tablespoons of arrowroot or cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa butter
- A few drops of tea tree oil
Melt shea butter and cocoa butter in a double boiler. Once melted, remove from the heat and add baking soda, arrowroot, and tea tree oil.
Mix well and pour into an empty deodorant stick. Let it cool before using.
Recipe 3: Lavender and Aloe Vera Gel Deodorant:
- 1/4 cup of aloe vera gel
- 1/4 cup of witch hazel
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil
Mix all the ingredients and pour them into a spray bottle. Shake before use and spray under your arms.
Remember, everyone’s body chemistry is unique, so what works for one person may not work for another. Feel free to adjust these recipes as necessary to find what works best for you.
Identifying the Best Eco-Friendly Deodorant
Selecting the perfect zero-waste deodorant can seem overwhelming, as each product brings its unique benefits and drawbacks.
Nonetheless, you can transition to a more sustainable lifestyle by exploring the top eco-friendly deodorant options that I recommend below, simplifying your decision-making process considerably.
I recommend Native Natural Deodorant for those seeking a more natural and effective option.
This vegan and cruelty-free deodorant, packed with ingredients like coconut oil and shea butter, offers robust odour protection, ensuring you stay fresh all day.
Notably, it’s free from potentially harmful substances such as aluminium, parabens, phthalates, and talc, which is a significant advantage for health-conscious users.
The product’s pleasant scent, smooth application, and long-lasting effects add to its appeal.
However, potential drawbacks include the possibility of it leaving white marks on clothing and causing skin irritation in some users after prolonged use.
Despite these minor issues, Native Natural Deodorant’s overall performance and commitment to natural ingredients make it worth considering.
If you’re interested in additional advice for living sustainably and having an earth-friendly cleaning routine, take a look at these articles:
- Don’t Fall for the Lies of Greenwashing – 9 Examples of Greenwashing Practices Doing It Wrong
- Ditch the Chemicals: 5 Best Eco-Friendly Face Washes to Try Today
- Transform Your Hair Care: Top 6 Best Eco-Friendly Shampoos You Need to Try
Is it healthy to go without deodorant?
While it might seem odd to some, going without deodorant is not necessarily unhealthy. Deodorants are primarily used to combat body odor, which is caused by bacteria breaking down sweat on our skin. Not wearing deodorant doesn’t pose a health risk, but it might increase body odor.
How can I clean my armpits naturally?
Cleaning your armpits naturally can be achieved with simple, readily available ingredients. A popular method involves using a paste made from baking soda and water. Apply this mixture to your underarms, leave it on for about 10 minutes, and then rinse it off. This process helps eliminate bacteria and neutralize odors. Other natural options include apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, or witch hazel – all known for their antibacterial properties. However, be sure to patch test any of these on your skin first to ensure you don’t have a sensitive reaction.